Pages - Menu

Monday, May 20, 2013

BBQ "Chicken" Sandwich

Why "chicken"? When you put quotes around the name of a food, it usually has the connotation that it's not what it seems, like school cafeteria food (they claim it's beef when it's actually slime O_O). 

By "chicken", I mean meatless chicken made of soy protein. Bring on the gasps from the meat-lovers in the world! You may be thinking, "WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD YOU EAT FAKE CHICKEN?!?!?"

Well, to answer your question, I am a vegetarian. A proud one for 3 years, in fact! I made the decision to become a vegetarian as a challenge to see if I could do it, and it has sort of stuck with me ever since. But more on that story another time! 

So I eat meatless chicken, or chik'n as some vegetarians call it. Chik'n surprisingly tastes like chicken (it gets some of its chicken flavoring from non-meat ingredients) and has 64% less fat than real chicken. I think it's a great substitute for chicken, taste-wise. 

A few years ago, I discovered a brand called MorningStar Farms. They produce meatless products such as burger patties, sausages, bacon, meatballs, and, of course, chicken. I fell in love with the taste of their products because they tasted like meat, but had absolutely no meat in them!

Last week, I had a craving for some of their products, so I went to the grocery store next to campus and bought their Original Chik Patties, meatless chicken patties with a crispy breadcrumb breading. YUM!! 

For dinner on Monday night, I whipped up a BBQ "Chicken" sandwich with MorningStar's chik patties and a few other ingredients that I got from my dining commons. I'm the weird one in my hall that treats our dining commons like my own one stop grocery stop rather than a place to go eat at three times a day. I often get vegetables from their salad bar, bread from their bread cupboards, and anything else I need to bring back to my hall to make my own food ;D




Here is the recipe for a quick BBQ "Chicken" sandwich:







Ingredients
1 MorningStar Farms Original Chik Patty, frozen
2 tsp mayonnaise 
1/2 tsp sriracha
1/4 tsp lemon juice
1 slice provolone cheese
2 slices of wheat bread, lightly toasted
1 tbsp BBQ sauce
1 leaf of lettuce 

Instructions
1. Place the chik patty in the oven at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes.
2. While the patty is in the oven, mix together the mayonnaise, sriracha, and lemon juice. Put it in the fridge to chill until you are ready to use it on the sandwich.
3. After the 10 minutes are up, turn off the oven. Place the slice of provolone cheese onto the patty.Once the cheese has melted, take the chik patty out.
4. To assemble the sandwich, take the spicy mayonnaise mix out of the fridge and spread it onto one slice of bread. Place the lettuce onto the bread, followed by the patty. Spread the bbq sauce onto of the patty. Top it all off with the other slice of bread. Bon appetit!!









Yummy in my vegetarian tummy!! I can still taste the tangy bbq sauce, the creamy mayo with a kick, the crisp lettuce, and the crispy chik'n. Mmmmmmmm.........

If you have never tried meatless chicken before, this sandwich will be the best introduction to chik'n you will ever have!! 



I would love to hear your feedback on this recipe. Comment below telling me your thoughts about meatless food!

Lisa xx

No comments:

Post a Comment