Pages - Menu

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

College Life: My Dorm Room Desk



Around this time, high school seniors know where they are going to attend college, university, uni, or whatever you want to call it. Those seniors are being productive by figuring out what classes they are going to take throughout the next four years and how they are going to make a jump start on their careers....

But let's be honest.....

If they're like me, they are looking at dorm room decoration and organization ideas. I remember spending my nights looking at pictures of other people's dorm rooms, going through Bed, Bath & Beyond's website, making a list of what I wanted to bring, and planning out what I wanted to have on my walls and where to place them. 

Because of this, I thought it would be helpful to show those of you who are or will be entering college what my desk in my dorm room looks like. I'll give you some tips on how to organize and personalize your desk to make it a comfortable little area for you to get all of your work done at. 




In the right-hand corner of my desk, I have a desk organizer that I got as part of a set from Office Depot. I got it for my dad as a Christmas present, but he didn't use it, so I took it with me to college. Thanks Dad for not using the present I got for you. In this desk organizer, I have all of my colored pens, highlighters, pencils, pens, and LOTS of Post-It notes. I love Post-It notes. I use them EVERYWHERE! I also have my Clean & Clear Oil Absorbing Sheets, Nivea Lip Butter in Vanilla & Macadamia Nut, and Nivea A Kiss of Milk & Honey in a compartment of the organizer for easy access to some of my most used products.






My desk has a large cork board attached to it, and I use it to pin up reminders, random papers, etc. One section of my cork board is dedicated to memories I've made while in college. This area includes notes friends have written to me, a lanyard from Justin Bieber's concert, and a calming picture of an ocean horizon sunset. Whenever I'm feeling stressed out from school work, I like looking at this section because it always makes me instantly feel good from thinking about many happy college memories :) 






On the top section of my desk, I have a few of my books and a whole bunch of personal items. I have a box of Puff Tissues which I LOVE because of how pretty box is. I have it on my desk for easy access to tissues and also because it adds a colorful decorative element. Is that weird to do? On here, I have my Vitafusion Gummy Vitamins since gummy vitamins are the best vitamins to take because they taste like candy! I put my makeup brushes in a pen holder that I got at a 99 cents store for, you guessed it, 99 cents. To hold my hair brushes and combs, I use purple plastic plant pot that I bought at Ikea. On the far left side, you will see that I have a 3 layer organizer from Target. It is such a convenient thing to have because it has, within one layer, a multi-compartment unit that I use to put all of my hair ties, bobby pins, cotton pads, etc. I also put my medicine, mini first aid kit and mini sewing kit in here. 






Now let's take a look at what I have in the drawers of my desk!






Starting with the drawer that's located right where I sit, I have a whole bunch of office supplies in here to the point where I probably don't have to go to Office Depot for a good two years. To organize all of the things I have, I use a desk organizing tray that I bought at Target. I highly suggest you purchase a desk organizing tray like the one I have because they are extremely helpful with keeping your drawer nice and organized. 

Note: Though I have a graphic calculator, I can't really use it in class for exams because they're not allowed. Usually, professors do not allow you to use programmable calculators on exams to prevent you from cheating. Instead, bring a simple scientific calculator with you to college.






I got the idea of using the pages from my old magazines to line the bottom of my drawers somewhere on the Internet. Not only does it save money and recycles magazines I don't read anymore, but adds pops of colors, and I always find excuses to add pops of color anywhere! All I did was ripped out pages from an old Seventeen magazine, placed them on the bottom of the drawer, and tape them together. Easy!! 






The first drawer on the side of my desk has the makeup that I use the most at the moment and things for me to read/watch during my leisure time. Let's take a closer look, shall we?







The three containers came with the desk set I was talking about earlier. I separate my eye, face, and lip products among them. I also have a couple of palettes that I'm currently using in this drawer. (I will post another blog about what I'm currently using in the future.) 

Peeping out from underneath my Naked2 palette and Nars Laguna Bronzer, I have my Les Miserables book that I bought at the end of last year. I started reading it at the beginning of this year, but I became too busy and it's been in my drawer ever since. I'm determined to finish it before 2014 though! In this drawer, I also have a few DVDs, and can you guess what CD I have from looking at the picture?! Hint: look at one of the other pictures in this blog ;) 

As you can probably see, I own a box of earplugs. In college, especially when you are living in a dorm where the walls are thin, you will need earplugs!! There will be nights when all you want to do is sleep, but your dorm mates may be talking loudly or slamming their doors shut. A normal person might go and ask them to keep it down.....

.... However, because I can sometimes be a lazy college student, I prefer to save my energy, pop in some earplugs, and sleep soundly throughout the night ;D 






Moving onto the middle drawer, I keep blank sheets of both lined and printer paper, extra printer ink, flashcards, and two unopened packets of highlighters in here. Why do I have two packets of highlighters? Because I love highlighters and they were having a two for one sale. That's why. I'm a sucker for two for one deals! Even if I don't currently need it, I will often convince myself that I will need it in the future. 






Lastly, this drawer contains binders, folders, a clipboard, extra lined paper, sheet protectors, notebooks, and any other officer supplies that I could possibly need! I really made sure I was prepared for ANYTHING supplies-wise! There's nothing wrong with being prepared! Well, that's what I tell myself...






I hope you found this blog very helpful! I wish those of you who are planning for college the best of luck!!!


Lisa xx

No comments:

Post a Comment